Visit our Online Flea Market!

August 7, 2012


 BellaLuLu
Baseball cards, Fiestaware, Hummels, and Depression
glass wax and wane in popularity but antique and vintage
toys remain a staple among collectors.   To illustrate how children's toys have been defined by modern designers, 
the Museum of Modern Art in New York City is hosting

Over 500 items were loaned to the MOMA from collectors worldwide.  The show
runs until November 5, 2012.

Thirty wooden pieces were included in a set of Build the Town Building Blocks in 1940.
Creator Ladislav Sutnar was born in the Czech Republic in 1897 but emigrated to
America and continued to design toys until his death in 1976.




 Dutch designer Gerrit Rietveld created this simple child's wheelbarrow in 1923.  

 


Renate Muller, of Germany, created this play set in 1985 using 
jute, leather, and wood.




Joaquin Torres-Garcia, Uruguay, designed these three figures
with twelve interchangeable wooden pieces in 1925.



The Omnibot 2000, a remote-controlled robot, was manufactured
by Tomy (formerly Tomiyama), Tokyo, in 1985.




Still with its original box, this Holdraketa rocket was
manufactured by Lemezaru Gyar, Budapest, in 1960.




The Ford convertible toy car was produced in 1956 by Marusan Shoten, Ltd., Tokyo;
the Subaru 360 toy car was manufactured by Bandai, Tokyo, in 1963.



Minka Podhajska, born in Czechoslovakia in 1881,
created a series of childhood characters in 1930.




This World War II children's game was created in Italy in 1944.





John Rideout and Harold vanDoren designed the Skippy-Racer scooter in 1933.




The Graf Zeppelin, a toy dirigible, was distributed by J.C. Penney Co. in 1930. 




German designer Hans Brockhage created the schaukelwagon (rocking car) in 1950.

In just about any economy, the market for vintage and antique toys continues to
thrive.   If you're considering investing in this unique niche of nostalgia, begin by thoroughly researching the specific toys that interest you.   Happy Hunting!

3 comments:

  1. I'd absolutely love to see this! I've been collecting vintage toys since my first child was born. It was initially simply to give a vintage feel to his nursery - but I think that I've grown to love the toys more than the children - and they've slowly started to expand out to decorate the rest of the house - lol! Great blog.
    Best wishes from England,
    Paula xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog,
    I'm so glad I looked you up and also glad you're my follower too. I hope you like my posts. I'm certainly inspired by yours :)
    Have a nice weekend
    Joasia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - I just love you blog - so many cool & interesting decorating things to see - I love the eclectic look as well as the shabby chic - I think they both are so compatible! Thanks so much - I have given it to my daughters to see also. Also thanks for becoming a follower of mine.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete